In today’s post, I’ll show you how to style an oversized flannel shirt without looking grumpy.
Flannel shirts aren’t plaid shirts, but the fact that most flannel shirts are plaid is making the misconception a bit too common. Plaid or non-plaid, it’s hard to disprove the fact that flannel shirts are simply chic.
A trend that has been picking up heat in recent times is that of ladies styling oversized flannels.
While it’s pretty easy to find dresses that work well with flannels, it’s also easy to find those that don’t. Here are some outfit ideas that show how to style a flannel shirt to look your best on your next outing.
How to Style an Oversized Flannel Shirt
1. Plain Turtle-Neck Tee with Oversized Flannel Shirt + Ripped Jeans + Boots + Sweat Cap
This is about the best way to style an oversized flannel shirt with a plaid pattern, no doubt. The sweat cap compliments the outfit perfectly and the cute smile makes her ready to go. Copy that if you can.
2. Black Tank Top with Oversized Flannel Shirt + Jean Shorts + Sandals
Here is another great outfit idea with flannels. This is best for night-outs and other informal gatherings, as you don’t want to wear something like this to work. The way you wear the flannel shirt should depend on the temperature; it’s warm in this picture, I guess.
3. Well Buttoned Oversized Flannel Shirt with Thigh-High Boots + English Hat
What about wearing your oversized flannel without anything significant underneath. This is exactly what she does here, and it seems to work. These thigh-high boots and the English hat give her a semi-cowgirl look, but it’s still excellent.
4. Graphic Crop Top with Oversized Flannel Shirt + High Waist Leggings + Sneakers
You shouldn’t expect anything to go wrong with an outfit, as long as a white graphic top is matched with black leggings. Since this outfit fulfills that requirement, it’s only natural that it looks extraordinarily elegant.
5. Oversized Flannel Shirt with Thigh-high Boots + Sunglasses + Chic Bag
Here’s another oversized flannel idea without any significant outfits underneath. It looks like something you should wear to a night out and the match between sunglasses and the boots is surreal.
6. Buttoned Up Oversized Flannel Shirt with Ripped Jeans + Converse Shoes
Depending on how you typically dress, you may not acknowledge that this qualifies to be called an oversized flannel. Nonetheless, you’ll agree that it looks chic and is something worth going out of your way to copy.
7. Turtle Neck Shirt with Flannel Shirt + Jean Pants + Boots + English Hat
Turtle neck tops and jeans have always worked well together, but why not add a flannel shirt to make it even better. If the boots were a bit bigger, she’d have passed for an alluring cowgirl.
8. White Tee with Oversized Flannel Shirt + Ripped Black Jeans + Combat Black Boots
This outfit consists almost entirely of whites and blacks, and it’s no surprise that it looks chic. If you’re dressing like this to work, however, you may want to remove the sunglasses to retain a professional look.
9. Crop Top with Oversized Flannel Shirt + Loose-fitted Jeans + Boots
Wearing oversized flannels over crop tops makes the outfit looks a bit more conservative, but it doesn’t really make it less fashionable. Simply take a look at the outfit below and try not to copy it; spoiler: you can’t.
10. Black Inner Tank Top with Oversized Flannel Shirt + Sweat Shorts + Shoes
If you’re going over to a friend’s house for a movie there’s really no point in an ultra-sophisticated dress. Dress in a simple black top and sweat shorts for a liberating experience. However, replicating that smile would be slightly more complicated.
11. Well Buttoned Oversized Flannel Shirt with Leather Pants + Shoes
A well-buttoned flannel and leather pants combine excellently, and you don’t even need any extra clothing. The fact that the entire outfit, including the sneaker, is either black or white also makes it better.
12. Well Buttoned Oversized Flannel Shirt + Boots + Handbag
Who says you need an extra piece of clothing to style an oversized flannel. As the model demonstrates below, the flannel is enough to cover everything that needs covering, with the boots and the handbag doing the rest of the job.
13. Black Top + Oversized Flannel Shirt + Leggings + Boots + English Hat
This is the plaid flannel equivalent to an all-black outfit since it seems like all-blacks flannels don’t exist. I’m struggling to think of a scenario where this outfit will look out of place, can you help?
14. White Crop Top + Oversized Flannel Shirt + Light Blue Jeans + Sneakers + Sunglasses
Crop tops are excellent with jeans, but this model just proved that wearing supersized flannels over them isn’t a bad idea either. It’s important to avoid buttoning the flannel since the color should match with that of the sneakers.
15. Black Top + Oversized Flannel Shirt + Joggers + Sneakers + Handbag + Sunglasses
Here’s another outfit that should’ve been all-black, if all-black flannels existed. Since there aren’t any, we’ll have to make do with this simple chic outfit. The sunglasses make her look kind of like an FBI agent in my opinion.
16. Oversized Flannel Shirt with Belt + Black Shoes
This flannel can easily be mistaken for a short dress due to its massive size. The belt at its waist is also perfect for masking what it actually is, but that doesn’t matter. As long as you can get one of these patterns and an equally alluring smile, copying the look is easy.
17. Inner Vest + Oversized Flannel Shirt + Leggings + Knee-High Boots
The flannel may not be massively oversized, but it does a good job of representing the outfit idea the model is trying to get across. Notice how the boots look like a dull version of the inner vest’s color; that’s another important part of the outfit.
18. Oversized Flannel Shirt + Leggings + Thigh-high Boots
As evidenced by several outfit ideas above, you don’t need anything under your plaid-patterned flannel to look amazing. Take a look at her for example; while the boots seemed excessive, nothing really seems off about her outfit.
19. Black Crop Top with Oversized Flannel Shirt + Ripped Jeans + Boots + English Hat
With a hat, a casual dress, and a pair of boots, this model captures the cowgirl look perfectly. Of course, you won’t want to wear this in a professional environment; strictly vacations only!
20. Basic Jumpsuit + Oversized Flannel Shirt + Sneakers
Jumpsuits are basically made to be convenient and comfortable, and there’s nothing that screams comfortable better than this outfit. Adding a flannel over the jumpsuit only makes it as chic as she looks in the outfit.
21. Sweat Shirt + Oversized Flannel Shirt +Gray Jeans + Boots
Who says flannels aren’t meant for fashion? Obviously, they haven’t seen this extraordinary outfit idea. The match between the color of the sunglasses and the boots is also sick, bringing the whole outfit together.
22. Buttoned Up Oversized Flannel Shirt + Leggings + Knee-high Boots + Handbag
This flannel looks more like a plaid shirt, making it perfect with leggings and a pair of knee-high boots. While I think matching the colors of the boots and the handbag will work better than using a different color.
23. Graphic Tee + Oversized Flannel Shirt + Tight Shorts + Sneakers
Maybe it’s just impossible for graphic tees to look bad at this point, since they always look awesome, regardless of the footwear or culotte choice. Get a pair of sneakers that match the flannel and complete the outfit, recreating her look.
24. Oversized Flannel Shirt + Black Tee + Joggers + Sneakers + Handbag
Every part of this outfit looks cohesive, maybe because the colors were strategically chosen to match. Note the match between the sneakers and the handbag, as well as that of the sunglasses and the tee.
25. Graphic Tee + Oversized Flannel Shirt + Skinny Pant +Boots + Sweat Cap
We’ve talked about graphic tees several times earlier and they work like magic if you get the colors right. In this scenario, it seems like she got the colors and you can see how cool the result is for yourself.
And that’s all for my post on how to style an oversized flannel shirt. Want some more outfit ideas? Then you might want to check out these blog posts.
- 25 Cute Outfits with Black Boots
- 25 Classy Outfits with Grey Jeans
- What to Wear Over a Dress in Winter
- 25 Simple Yet Classy Ways to Style A Trench Coat
- How to Style Jean Vest Like a Boss
I hope you enjoyed this piece of content. Do well to rate this post, and don’t forget to share this outfit compilation with your friends.
See you with more exciting inspirations. Trust me; you wouldn’t want to miss any of our upcoming outfits compilation, so make sure to follow us on Pinterest.
Pin for Later.